Thursday, March 5, 2009

Period 2 Weight Training Flexibility

Flexibility is the range of motion possible around a specific joint or series of articulations. Flexibility is specific to a given joint or movement. A person may not be able to function normally if a joint lacks normal movement. The ability to move a joint through an adequate range of movement is important for daily activities in general as well a sports performance. For example, a sprinter may be handicapped by tight, inelastic hamstring muscles since the ability to flex the hip joint will be limited, thus shortening stride length.

Most leisure or recreational activities require only normal amounts of flexibility. The idea that good flexibility is essential for successful performance is based on anecdotal rather than scientific evidence.

Adequate range of movement may be more important for long term injury prevention. Individuals involved with physical activity who have poor flexibility (specific or general) risks exceeding the extensibility limits of the musculoskeletal unit. Once flexibility is assessed and flexibility insufficiency are identified, a stretching program can be customized, emphasizing those areas in need of improvement.

For your blog this week let me know how often you stretch, what areas of your body need it the most, what kind of stretches are you doing, and how long are you holding your stretches.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stretch about 3 times a week. The ares f my body that need it most are my hamstrings and my pectorals. I hold my stretches for around 20-30 seconds.

-Michael Turow

Anonymous said...

Coki-

I stretch with my baseball team, which usually is 6 times a week, once a day. But also in class, before we do the workouts for the day.

Basically my whole body needs stretching. I usually focus on my arms and legs, nothing with my core or back. To get into more detail; my hamstrings, quads, calves, groin, gluteous, hip flexor for the legs. and triceps, shoulders (most-all) and chest/pectoral.

When i'm on my own, i just stretch stationary. Active stretching is only with baseball or track. And i usually hold them for 25-30 sec.

Anonymous said...

I stretch very rarely. Only when I feel tight. Often in the morning and after standing up. Also when you give us stretches in class.

My hamstrings and various shoulder muscles need it the most.

I hold most stretches for around 20 seconds.

-Jack Corbett

Anonymous said...

I usually stretch after football conditioning as well as before I sleep. My back, pectorals, and calves are probably the areas that need the most stretching. I usually hold stretches for 30 seconds.

- Stephen Chen

Anonymous said...

I have recently started to practice some of the stretches we do in class at home. I hold them for 15-30 seconds and do it a few times a week. I mostly stretch my hamstrings and my shoulders.

- Jake Lazovick

Anonymous said...

Usually, I stretch whenever I have hockey practice or gamees. For me, the area of my body i need the most strech for is my groin and hamstrings. I usually stretch from 45sec-1min.

-Steven Rubin

Anonymous said...

I dont stretch very often usually only when I feel tight. My groin needs to be stretched the most after I tore it.

I hold my stretches from around 30 seconds - 1 minute.

- David Sureff

Anonymous said...

ever since a few months ago, I stretch twice a week. Before then, I never stretched at all. I try and stretch everything since I have very little flexibility, and therefore try to incorporate as many stretches into my routine as possible. i hold each stretch for about 10-15 seconds.
Kyle C

Anonymous said...

I stretch around 5-10 minutes every day. stretching whatever feels tight. I hold my stretches from 10 to 30 seconds depending on what I am stretching. I need to stretch my hamstrings the most
- Dimitri Koutzoumis

Anonymous said...

I typically straetch only before hockey and workouts unless i feel sore of my muscles feel tight.
I normally work my lower body as well as arms and shoulders.
I hold most of my stretches for about 20-30 secs.

-Jon Cohen

Anonymous said...

I need to stretch more. I do it like once or twice a week. Mostly my lower body needs it. I do the normal leg stretches and hold for only about 10 seconds

Anonymous said...

I stretch before basketball conditioning 3 days a week. I also stretch before going to bed when I feel sore about once or twice a week. I hold the stretches for about 30 seconds. Areas of my body that need to be stretched the most are my hamstrings and groin.

Taylor Van Neste

Anonymous said...

I usually stretch around 3 times a week and I hold my stretches from about 20-30 sec each. I mostly stretch out my hamstrings, groin, and shoulders.

Jason Cameron

Anonymous said...

I stretch everyday after football conditioning. The area of my body that needs the most stretching is my hamstrings. We hold our stretches for 10 count, but when i need to stretch more, i do after.
-Sam Zacks